Offering for sale a brand new and boxed example of a Bachmann Branch-Line Model Railways BR Maroon Collett Brake 2nd Coach running number W 1656 W, model reference number 34-176.
Collett passenger coaches were originally designed for the Great Western Railway (GWR). They were many and varied, ranging from four and six-wheeled vehicles for the original broad gauge line of 1838, through to bogie coaches up to 70 feet (21 m) long which were in service through to 1947. Also vacuum brakes, bogies and through-corridors all came into use during the nineteenth century.
The 1920’s saw some vehicles fitted with automatic couplings and steel bodies. Early vehicles were built by a number of independent companies, but in 1844 the railway started to build carriages at Swindon railway works. Swindon eventually provided most of the railway’s stock. Most coaches were painted in a chocolate brown and cream livery, although this did change over the years. However they were plain brown or red until 1864 and from 1908 to 1922.