A brand new 00 gauge example especially developed by “Hornby Model Railways” as part of their latest DCC READY series. This BR 4-4-2T “ADAMS RADIAL locomotive 488 is being offered in LSW4 Lined Green livery. The locomotive is complete in every respect and is offered with sealed accessories pack and paperwork.
In 1882, to support the ever increasing London suburban traffic on the London South Western Railway, William Adams, the Locomotive Superintendent, ordered 71 new Class 415 4-4-2T engines. Developed from the earlier rebuilt LSWR 46 class, the 415 Class locomotives were all constructed away from the LSWR workshops at Nine Elms, which were at full capacity, being built by R. Stephenson, Neilson & Co, Beyer Peacock and Dübs & Co between 1882 and 1885.
The introduction of the Drummond M7 led to the Class 415s being shifted to rural branch. By 1927, only two engines remained, although in 1946 they were joined by a further locomotive, purchased from the East Kent Railway. All three were finally withdrawn from service in 1961.